|Assorted Pithas: Prepared during a Bihu celebration @Hyd|
1. Rice Flour - 4 parts
2. Wheat Flour - 1Part ( this depends on how sticky it becomes, one might have to adjust according to the consistancy)
3. Juggery - Soaked in water, without any lump, and as per taste. This will also give color to the pitha.
4. Mustured Oil - to deep fry each pitha seperately.
5. A Wok - Deep and small enough to fry only one pitha at a time. ( For the assamese people, our luci bhoja kerahi is the perfect thing)
6. Backing Soda - 1 tea spoon
Mix ingredients 1 to 3. Add water if needed. The consistancy needs to be as that of a cake batter. Keep it aside for atleast 4 hours. It will give you the required shape and taste. As most of us will use dry packaged rice flour and not freshly grinded.
Heat the wok and add sufficient oil. Take a deep round scoop to spread the pita. Once the oil is hot enough ( do not burn it) add a scoop of pitha mixure. Lower the flame and fry. Initially your pitha might break or the shape might not come. For this you might need to adjust the consistancy. Too thick batter will give you a hard pitha, and a thin batter will not let the pitha be togather. For each pitha repeat the heating process. The key is to fry it on super low flame, as it needs to cook till inside.
Enjoy your pitha with a good cup of Assam Tea.
Note : I will try and update a picture very soon, to give you an idea how the final product must look.